Friday, April 26, 2013

Nature's Valley

Bloukrans Bridge. I bungee jumped from this!
 Nature's Valley (that's seriously the name of the town...yay!) was the perfect place to spend the last days of my holiday. The Baz bus drove down a narrow dirt road and dropped me off at a wonderful hidden place away from the craziness I just came from in Wilderness. I stayed at Rocky Road backpacers and was greeted by Rocky himself as I walked off the bus. He immediately asked if I'd like to join them for dinner that night - he was cooking. Yes, please!

Tents on platforms
Suzie, who moved to South Africa from the Netherlands and now works at Rocky Road, showed me to my new home for the next few days - a tent on a platform with a double bed, nightstand and lamp! My own tent! I've been wanting to sleep in a tent for a while, and I was ecstatic to have the chance to do so. I was also excited to have a place away from people for a little while and have a place to call 'my own.'

That night, I had dinner with Rocky and his family along with the other 4 backpackers and some volunteers. The other backpackers (two couples) were actually going 'real' backpacking the next morning on the Otter Trail. I've been told a few times that I should do this trail, but unfortunately, I don't have 5 days to go backpacking or the gear to do so. One day when I come back, I'll definitely have to go. These couples were amazing and so much fun. We played a game after dinner (yes, those of you who know me, I did play a game...for 2 hours!) and had a blast. We were laughing all night long. Good company is such a blessing.

One of the best parts of this backpackers are the bathrooms. I'm not kidding. They have a "Forest Bathroom." This bathroom is down a little dirt path into the woods and is one room. In the room, a bathtub sits next to a few picture windows looking into the woods. Best. Bathroom. Ever. They also have an outdoor shower looking out across a field with a beautiful mountain backdrop where the only things things that you can see (or that can see you!) are the possible (hopefully far off) baboons. Happy? Yes!

View from the outdoor shower
Speaking of baboons...those animals make me so nervous. Not only are they incredibly smart, they are also incredibly dangerous. If one gets into a fight with a big cat, they actually have a chance of winning. Their incisor teeth are larger than a lion. Unfortunately, they are curious creatures, and equally unfortunate in this situation, I was sleeping in a tent. In the morning, I woke to their barking that sounded too close for comfort. 

I have rediscovered the importance of lazy days. My first day at Rocky Road (Tuesday) was a lazy day. I actually did some work on my resume and basic cover letters and skyped with Kase. Suzie kept asking me if I was bored and if I was fine just staying at Rocky Road. I assured her that I was more than fine just being there for the day. 

The big, exciting day came on Wednesday when I bungee jumped off of Bloukrans Bridge. I have always said that bungee jumping has never interested me and that I would never do it. Well....apparently I found some interest. Once I decided, I honestly told everyone that I just met at Rocky Road so they would hold me accountable. It worked. 

Rocky Road drove me to the bridge and I paid my R750 (just over $80) so couldn't back out without losing money. First, we had to walk under the bridge on the 'catwalk' to the jump point. The walk has an open grate which is also slightly flexible. Many people say this is scarier than the jump itself. I don't really remember this part except that I kept thinking that I was going to be jumping off a bridge very soon and praying that I wouldn't die.

They told us that if we think about it, jumping will be harder. Well I'd imagine so...maybe that's because it's CRAZY! It's amazing how fast the workers strap us in and tell us what to do. Everything they clipped on they said aloud which made me feel slightly better...slightly. After they wrapped my feet in the "harness" pad-like things, two guys grabbed my arms and brought me to the edge. Yugh...it was high. I grabbed their shirts and said something like "Ahhhh." Their response? "Look at the mountains. 5-4-3-2-1 Bungee!" and I jumped. Don't ask me how I jumped and didn't hesitate. I have no idea. These guys are so good at their job, hardly anyone hesitates. They don't give time for that. 

As I was beginning to fall, I don't remember anything, but when I looked down at the rocks, I started having fun. I know this is crazy because the bungee definitely had not caught yet, but I distinctly remember thinking "THIS IS AWESOME!" as I was soaring toward the rocks...not yet safe. When the bungee finally caught, I was having the time of my life. I can't put it into words. I've tried.

The scariest part was getting pulled back up. They send a guy down to unhook and rehook bungees and ropes. I hated this. He would clip something on, then something off, the something else on, then my bungee off. In my head, I was freaking out. This resulted in me grabbing the guy's harness. He told me that I was safe and that I could let go. No way, man. There is no way in the world I was letting go of him. He said it again, and I pretended I didn't hear and tightened my grip. Once I was back on the bridge, I clearly felt better! I never expected that the pulling up would be more nerve wracking than jumping off the bridge, but it was. 

If you have ever thought about bungee, you need to do it! If I didn't have to pay another R750 to do it again, I would have jumped right away and just put up with the coming up part. What an exhilarating feeling! LIVE LIFE!








No comments:

Post a Comment