Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Jeffrey's Bay Weekend

Finally, I have had a chance to update my blog from our adventure weekend!

Anna and Wellyna had off for Human Rights day off (Thursday March 21st) because they are a public school; sadly, I did not. They left on Thursday for Port Elizabeth and spent some time with friends, and I stayed at home...alone because Dr. Baxen was in Jo Burg at the time. It was a little strange being at home alone, but I was able to skype with Courtney and Jen that evening and that made it much better!

WINDY!
I left on Friday from Grahamstown to PE. Finally, we were approved for a student discount for the shuttle to PE which brought the price down from R280 to R160! It was a process, but they finally listened and gave in. Persistence (and maybe some annoyance) works! 

Our first night in Jeffrey's Bay consisted of us just checking into our hostel and then going to the restaurant..."The Mexican." I don't know what it is, but in J-Bay, they like naming their 'ethnic' restaurants like that...The Mexican, The Greek, and so on. Somewhat strange....

On Saturday, we first went to a game reserve where we rented quad bikes (a.k.a. 4-wheeler) and were able to drive around and look at the animals. Nothing like this would ever happen in the United States because of the liability involved. We were not required to wear helmets...not to mention we were riding in a game reserve where rhinos roam free. 

Honestly, though, it was amazing. Finally! I was able to drive a motorized vehicle. I know I've only been gone for a month (not even when I actually was there), but it's amazing how
See the rhinos in the background?!
Yes...I know this was too close, but it was awesome!
much I miss being in control of a vehicle and having the ability to go somewhere using more than just my two feet. I felt some freedom!


On the game drive, we saw giraffe, buffalo, rhino, and lots of different antelope (springbok, blesbock, etc,). Anna and I shared a quad and she drove for the first half, and I drove for the second. An hour into our drive, the weather started to turn. We decided to go head back a little early. On our way, a group of blesbok were running next to us and crossed our path. Honestly, it was almost surreal. If anyone has seen that youtube video of the man getting taken out by an impala, that's what I saw happening in my head. If you haven't seen it, check it out (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2oymHHyV1M). Thankfully, that didn't happen!

Between J-Bay and the game reserve, we saw a huge shanty town (at the time I thought it was huge...until I came to Cape Town the following week). It still amazes me that the extravagantly rich live so close to the poorest of the poor. I'm not kidding when I say that their homes consist of a tin shack that's about 10 feet by 6 feet and is 1 foot away from another 10 foot by 6 foot shack. The government is putting up houses, but can't put them up fast enough, and the people were told that they would have new homes soon. Some have been waiting in these tin homes for 10 years. I could go on about this, but I don't think some of my opinions should be posted online; if you're interested, I can tell you when I get home....
Restaurant


We had lunch at an awesome place on our way back to J-Bay. A restaurant stared on the beach, and it's completely in the sand. The waiters and waitresses don't wear shoes (I took mine off too), and the building is a hut on the beach. Not only was it a great place, but they also had good food! I had hake (local, common fish) with calamari. The portions were absolutely ginormous, and I couldn't even begin to finish my plate. 
View from the restaurant


After the adventures at the game reserve and the wonderful lunch, we learned how to surf! I loved surfing...even though I have much to work on. We were out in the ocean for about 2 hours, and I could have stayed there for at least 2 more hours. Our surf instructor Andrew Moon (seriously, his last name is Moon. It's a hippie/surfer name, and it fits) was in his 40s and was awesome. When I was having trouble getting up, he told me, "You think too much. You just have to chill...don't think about it...surfing is a hippie sport, man..." I loved it. No pressure; just me trying to catch a wave. When I get the next chance, you better believe I want to be out there learning. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera with me while surfing, so I don't have any of my own pictures.  


On Sunday, we were scheduled to go horseback riding on the beach, but it started raining and the horseback riding was cancelled. Murray (the owner/director/tour guide for Freewalkers) took us to a local cafe for breakfast after which we went back to Port Elizabeth. 

All in all, it was a fabulous weekend filled with new adventures! To all my family and friends back at home, I wish you could have been here to experience it too. 


No comments:

Post a Comment