Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Life in the Southern Hemisphere

It's incredibly strange going from living in the N. Hemisphere to living in the S. Hemisphere in a matter of days. The seasons changed from Winter/Spring to Summer/Fall. It was about 38 degrees Celsius (about 100 degrees Fahrenheit) yesterday! Today, the headmaster at Kingswood (the school I'm at) said something about July and August being the coldest months out of the year...so strange.

Another part about living in the S. Hemisphere is the sun is in the Northern sky not the Southern sky as it is in the N. Hemisphere. In Michigan, I'm quite good with knowing the cardinal directions, but here I constantly mess it up. Shadows here point toward the South not the North. My sense of direction is entirely confused here. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Driving on the right side of the car and on the left side of the road is obviously not a S. Hemisphere thing, but it is also confusing. Not only do they drive on the "wrong" side of the road, but they also drive so FAST! My 90 minute ride from Port Elizabeth to Grahamstown on Monday was somewhat nerve-wracking especially in the cities.

Needless to say, there are somethings that I took as 'normal' in Michigan that are different here in South Africa. I'm excited to become more familiar with them as this becomes more like home to me over the next 3 months. 

No comments:

Post a Comment